How to Edit a Displayr Document in Q
If you have a license for Displayr’s desktop sister, Q, you may sometimes wish to add some things to your Displayr document from within Q. There are a few things that Q can do that Displayr cannot, like coding of open-ended text responses (although this list is shrinking!). This article describes the steps that you need to bring your work from Displayr into Q, and then get it back into Displayr.
Some things, like making really complicated filters can be easier to set up in Q. If you have a Q license in addition to your Displayr license, then you can download your work from Displayr as a QPack file, make your desired changes in Q, and then upload your work back into Displayr.
Note that even if you are a Q user, it is not necessary to go through this process if you only need to update your Displayr document with new data. For this, you can click on the name of your data set under the Data Sets section in the bottom left, and then move to the right of the screen and click the Update button that appears in the Object Inspector.
Part 1 – Download your QPack
You must begin by downloading your work from Displayr. The file that you download is a .QPack file. This contains all of the tables, charts, and other work you have done in Displayr, along with the data sets that you have used. To download your work:
1. Open your document in Displayr.
2. Click Export > Embed > Update All. This forces Displayr to save the latest changes into a QPack. Otherwise it does this approximately every 10 minutes.
3. Click on the Cog icon in the top right to go to Document Settings.
4. Click on the Version History section.
5. Click the Download link for the first version at the top. This is the most recent version of your document.
Part 2 – Make changes in Q and save your work
Now you can open your QPack file in Q and make any necessary changes. Once you are done, you will want to save your work:
- Use File > Save As.
- Change the Save as type setting to Q Pack Files – project and data in one compressed file (*.QPack).
- Enter a name and click Save.
Part 3 – Upload your QPack
Now that you have done what you need in Q, and saved your work, it is time to upload your QPack into Displayr. To do so:
- Go back to the Version History section in your Document Settings as you did in Part 1 above.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of document.
- Click + Upload New Version.
- Click Choose File, locate your file, and click Upload.
Some things to keep in mind when going through this process:
- You should be running a recent version of Q. New features that have been added recently to Displayr may not be available in Q. The version number changes regularly. If you are unsure about whether your Q version is the best for using Displayr, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you. All new versions and upgrades are included as part of your Q license (so there is no extra cost for this!.
- Filters work differently between Q and Displayr. If you select a table or other output that has filters applied, you will get a message that asks you if you want to reset them (which means turn off all the filters on the table). Unless you need to work on the table, it is usually best to decline this message.
- Your Report will look a bit different to the page layout in Displayr, and it may also look a bit different to your standard report in Q. Each of your pages becomes a folder in your report. If you need to make layout changes, it is usually best to do them in Displayr after you upload your QPack again.
Author: Chris Facer
Chris is the Head of Customer Success at Displayr. Here, and previously at Q (www.q-researchsoftware.com), he has developed a wealth of scripts and tools for helping customers accomplish complex tasks, automate repetitive ones, and generally succeed in their work. Chris has a passion for helping people solve problems, and you’ll probably run into him if you contact Displayr Support. Chris has a PhD in Physics from Macquarie University.